NORMAN — While the University of Oklahoma enjoyed another year of outstanding athletics accomplishments in 2017-18 with five team conference championships, a team national title and five first-round draft picks, OU student-athletes also raised their already-impressive academic standard this past spring by setting one collective GPA record and extending another.
OU student-athletes own a 3.13 cumulative GPA after the spring semester, the best in recorded school history, to mark a record 13th consecutive semester of posting at least a 3.0 figure. The previous school record for cumulative GPA was 3.09 following the spring 2017 and fall 2017 semesters.
OU’s streak of student-athletes posting a GPA of at least 3.0 started in spring 2012. Averages have ranged from 3.01 to 3.13. The 3.13 cumulative spring GPA reflects the overall academic performance of those student-athletes from their first semester of collegiate enrollment through the completion of the spring 2018 term.
“I say it every year,” remarked OU Vice President and Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione. “The achievements of our student-athletes in the classroom continue to show impressive progress. This year they stepped it up even more, and, with our department’s long record of academic success, their performance demonstrates a dedication to continued improvement. We are proud that they’re performing well in the classroom and also graduating in such high numbers.”
Thirteen of OU’s 19 athletics teams own at least a 3.14 cumulative GPA following the spring semester, and 12 of them, including all 10 women’s squads, possess at least a 3.2 cumulative mark.
Teams with at least a 3.14 cumulative GPA are: women’s basketball (3.39), men’s cross country (3.24), women’s cross country (3.48), men’s golf (3.14), women’s golf (3.23), men’s gymnastics (3.29), women’s gymnastics (3.52), women’s rowing (3.38), women’s soccer (3.50), softball (3.24), women’s tennis (3.52), women’s track and field (3.29) and volleyball (3.46).
Cumulative GPAs for men’s gymnastics, women’s gymnastics and soccer stand as the best in the history of the respective programs.
Two more teams — baseball (2.92) and men’s basketball (2.94) — own above a 2.9 cumulative GPA.
In addition to the 13th straight semester of a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA, here is a look at the recent academic accomplishments of OU student-athletes:
- A total of 130 student-athletes earned their OU degree in 2017-18 (122 undergraduate degrees and eight master’s).
- OU produced 292 Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll honorees for the spring semester (student-athletes who posted at least a 3.0 GPA for the term) and 325 last fall.
- A total of 138 perfect 4.0 GPAs were achieved in the 2017-18 school year (65 in the spring semester and 73 last fall).
- Five OU programs registered a 100-percent multiyear Graduation Success Rate for the most recent reporting period: men’s gymnastics, women’s gymnastics, men’s tennis, women’s tennis and volleyball.
- Five OU teams (women’s golf, women’s gymnastics, women’s tennis, women’s cross country and volleyball) recorded perfect 1,000 single-year Academic Progress Rate scores for 2016-17 and all OU Athletics programs finished above the NCAA minimum for the 10th consecutive year.
To submit stories or information on sports in Oklahoma, please send an email to email@example.com. Get our free daily email update on all the stories on oksportsreview.com HERE. Like oksportsreview.com on Facebook HERE or follow us on Twitter HERE.