Roughnecks lose big to Orange County

By Tulsa Roughnecks
The Tulsa Roughnecks surrendered a season-high six goals late Saturday night in a 6-1 loss at Orange County SC.  OCSC turned a one-goal game into a decisive loss for the Roughnecks by scoring the final four goals of the match.

TRFC goalkeeper Fabian Cerda was left with little support, especially over the final 25 minutes.  The loss leaves Tulsa winless on the season and with seven points from a 0-8-7 record.

The Roughnecks had a great opportunity to jump to an early lead in the seventh minute when Jon Bakero got behind the OC defense.  The Chicago Fire loanee rolled a pass by the goalkeeper and across the mouth of the goal, but no Roughnecks attacker was in position to tap it home.

Orange County opened the scoring in the 16th minute.  On a corner kick, TRFC defenders left Jos Hooiveld unchallenged, and he headed in Aodhan Quinn’s cross to make it 1-0.

The lead doubled to 2-0 in the 37th minute when USL goal-scoring leader Thomas Enevoldsen rolled in a close-range shot to give OCSC a 2-0 lead.

Tulsa had two good chances to get a first-half goal in the 41st minute.  The first came on a scramble off a corner kick.  Seconds later, Bakero found space down the right side and crossed to an open Brandon Servania, but his shot from 15 yards rolled just wide of the far post.

Claudio Munoz came on at the halftime break for the Roughnecks, and nearly put TRFC on the scoreboard in the 51st minute.  Munoz flicked a delivery from Nemanja Vukovic just wide of the post.

It was one of several opportunities that the Roughnecks had to open the half, and the goal finally came in the 58th minute.  Vukovic delivered a free kick cross from midfield that got past a pair of OC defenders and fell to the feet of Bakero.  The rookie hammered his shot into the net to pull Tulsa to within 2-1.

The Roughnecks kept the pressure on immediately after the goal, but it was Orange County that found the back of the net next, ending Tulsa’s hopes of picking up its first win of the year.  Alex Crognale headed in from close range in the 61st minute off a corner kick to restore OC’s two-goal lead.

Quinn converted a penalty kick in the 66th minute before substitutes Amirgy Pineda and Mats Bjurman closed out the scoring.

D.J. Dean entered the match as an 81st-minute substitute for the Roughnecks, becoming just the second Tulsa native to play for the team.

After two straight away matches, the Roughnecks will now play two straight home matches at ONEOK Field. The pair of matches will begin on Wednesday when TRFC hosts the LA Galaxy II. That match will be followed with a meeting with the Las Vegas Nights on Saturday.

Wednesday’s game against Los Dos will be a Bark-in-the-Park Night with fans invited to bring their dogs to enjoy the action from the grass berms.  It will also be a Buck Night with $1 beers, sodas and hot dogs.

Saturday’s game will be our annual 4th of July Celebration with a large holiday Fireworks Extravaganza scheduled for after the match. It will also be Military Night with all active and retired military offered two free tickets when they present their military IDs at the ticket windows.

Kickoff in downtown Tulsa for both games is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

To submit stories or information on sports in Oklahoma, please send an email to Get our free daily email update on all the stories on HERE. Like on Facebook HERE or follow us on Twitter HERE.

Leave a Reply