Energy win thriller over Monarchs
OKLAHOMA CITY– Energy FC earned a dramatic 3-2 win over the Western Conference leading Real Monarchs SLC at Taft Stadium.  Jose Barril established a team record with three assists.

The Greens wasted no time in getting on the board, taking a 1-0 lead just 27 seconds into the game.  Barril collected a ball near the midfield stripe and flicked a pass over his head to a streaking Christian Volesky who was able to corral the pass and create an angle to be nearly one-on-one with the keeper on the left side of the box.  Volesky chipped it past Monarchs goalkeeper Jake Leeker.

Volesky’s goal was the second time this season he’s scored within the first minute of the match.  He scored 42 seconds into Energy FC’s 1-1 match May 26 in Tulsa.  The goal 27 seconds into the match is the second fastest goal scored from the start of a match in franchise history.  Only Timo Pitter’s goal 18 seconds into the match September 24, 2016 was faster.

Barril added his second assist in the 27th minute when he found Alex Dixon flying down the right wing.  Dixon blasted one past Leeker to give The Greens a commanding 2-0 lead.

Early in the second half, Real Monarchs showed why they’ve been at the top of the Western Conference the entire season.  Charlie Adams scored on a free kick from about 25 yards away from Energy FC keeper Cody Laurendi.

Just under two minutes later, Jack Blake scored on a blast from just outside the 18-yard box past Laurendi.

The goals 1:50 apart are the fastest two goals scored by an Energy FC opponent this season.

Energy FC was able to right the ship and wrestle control of the match back from Real Monarchs and in the 83rd minute were able to cash in.

Barril chipped the ball over the defense to newcomer Monty Patterson at the top of the 18-yard box.  Patterson controlled the pass and fired a left-footed shot past a diving Leeker.

Real Monarchs had two corner kicks at the end of the match, but were denied by the Energy FC defense.

The win for Energy FC completes a stretch when the team played three games in an eight-day stretch.  After a tough loss in Colorado last Saturday, the team responded with six goals in their next two games, a 3-0 win over Tulsa and a 3-2 win over Real Monarchs.

Energy FC returns to action next Saturday on the road against Rio Grande Valley FC.  Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. at H-E-B Stadium in Hidalgo, Texas

Leave a Reply