Energy hands Roughnecks 3-0 loss
TULSA– The third and final Black Gold Derby of 2018 resulted in Energy FC reclaiming the wrench, after defeating Tulsa Roughnecks FC 3-0 at ONEOK Field on Wednesday night.

Opportunities to score in the opening 45 minutes were hard to come by, as neither side were really able to create a clear-cut chance. Philip Rasmussen’s shot from distance was saved by Tulsa goalkeeper Fabian Cerda in the 10th minute, and Alex Dixon and Christian Volesky came close but couldn’t test the keeper with chances later in the half. Tulsa had a few attempts, but only one of them made it to Cody Laurendi, who was hardly troubled in his first outing of the season since returning from injury.

Things changed with the last kick of the half as Cerda attempted three moves to shake Adam Jahn, who was pressuring the keeper and hoping for a mistake. The first two succeeded, the third did not, as Jahn stole the ball and passed it into the empty net to give the Greens the lead at halftime.

The second half began just as the first half ended – with an Energy FC goal. Kyle Hyland’s clearance found Volesky running in behind the Tulsa defense, and the striker was able to hold off defender Josh Morton, round substitute goalkeeper Chase Gentry and walk the ball into the net.

In the 79th minute, Dixon was brought down in the box by Morton and the striker stepped up to take the penalty. Gentry guessed correctly on the shot, but the ball crept under the keeper and in for the first Energy FC goal from a penalty in league play this season.

The Greens comfortably saw out the remainder of the match to clinch the wrench and pick up three big points in the race for the playoffs. Energy FC return home Saturday night to face league-leading Real Monarchs SLC at 7:30 p.m. at Taft Stadium.

If you like, please get our free daily email update on all the stories on HERE.

To submit stories or information on sports in Oklahoma, please send an email to

Like on Facebook HERE or follow us on Twitter HERE.

Leave a Reply